LEADERSHIP IN ACTION: PRACTICE 3 CHALLENGE THE PROCESS (30 points)
The purpose of the Leadership in Action assignments is for you to do things to grow in the five leadership
practices to develop your leadership skills. You will not be graded on whether you had a positive outcome in
taking the step, but rather in how sincerely you tried to develop the skill or practice.
Your paper should be written in essay format to respond to the questions that are provided.
Use headings for each of the sections to organize your paper.
Your paper should be double-spaced with a 750-word minimum (about 3 pages minimum). Note: Meeting
the minimum word count does not guarantee a high score.
The assignment will be graded as follows:
Good (15 points) Satisfactory (11 points) Unsatisfactory (7 points)
Responses to all items are
and supported with specific
A clear effort was made to
practice the identified
Uses critical thinking and
shows depth in application
of course content.
Most responses are
and supported with
level understanding in
application of course
An adequate effort was
made to practice the
Item responses are
incomplete and/or brief.
Demonstrates little insight
into application of course
Effort to practice two
appears superficial or
Writing must be appropriate for upper-division course.
Points will be deducted for grammar, spelling, syntax, and punctuation errors.
LEADERSHIP IN ACTION: PRACTICE 3 (CHALLENGE THE PROCESS)
PART A. REFLECT ON YOUR SLPI
1) Record your overall score from the SLP for CHALLENGE THE PROCESS.
2) Of the six leadership behaviors that are a part of CHALLENGE THE PROCESS, which behavior statement is
indicated that you engage in most frequently? After learning more about CHALLENGE THE PROCESS, would
you say this is accurate or not? Explain.
3) Which behavior statement is indicated that you engage in least frequently? After learning more about
Model the Way, would you say this is accurate or not? Explain.
4) Complete this statement: When it comes to CHALLENGE THE PROCESS, my areas of leadership strengths are:
5) What CHALLENGE THE PROCESS behaviors do you see as opportunities for improving and strengthening your
capacity to lead others?
PART B: SEIZE THE INITIATIVE TO CHANGE THE STATUS QUO
Meeting new challenges always requires things to be different than they currently are. You cant
respond with the same old solutions. You must change the status quo, .
For this Leadership in Action assignment, I want you to meet a challenge (personal life, work life, other
setting) by seizing the initiative to change the status quo. Propose a new way to address the challenge
and take steps to do so.
1) Challenge you addressed:
2) What would have been the old way or status quo way of addressing the challenge:
3) Explain what you did that was a new way to address the challenge:
4) What was the result of addressing the challenge in this new way?
5) Was there resistance to change? Describe the resistance and how you worked through it?
6) What were the lessons learned from this Leadership in Action exercise?